On this week’s episode Ed chats with Tobias Jordans about a parking data project in Berlin. It’s something you may not have thought about, but the data about parking spaces and their use can have a big impact on urban dynamics. Tobias explains how city planners, NGOs, and politicians pushing for positive changes can all benefit from accurate parking data. Using OpenStreetMap, Tobias and his colleagues are making it easier to record, retrieve, and update information about parking spaces in Berlin. Listen in to find out about the challenges, learnings, and how you can bring this project to your city.
- Tobias is on Twitter as @tordans
- OSM Berlin on Twitter: @osmberlin
- OSM Verkehrswende a German group working to use OpenStreetMap to facilitate the mobility transition (mostly German; the code is on GitHub).
- OSM wiki page for the meetups and documentation we have (German, but happy to do meetups in English)
- Parking Project for the specific parking data project (the code is on GitHub)
- A recent conference talk about the broader topic of using OSM to speed up the changes in transportation towards bikes (German)
- A recent conference talk about the parking project specifically (German)
- A MapRoulette challenges to improve the local data for Berlin
- Use StreetComplete with the brand new parking overlay to collect parking information in your district
Every week we discuss themes from the geo industry, interview Geomob speakers, and provide regular updates about our own projects.