This is one of our regular, shorter episodes in which we (Ed and Steven) catch up on their projects and discuss the geonews.
Over at Mappery the team has spotted a new map based artist who has left us all saying "wow!". Ed meanwhile is grappling with the complexities of pricing a new product, and will soon be ready for beta testers of OpenCage's new geosearch service if anyone wants to volunteer.
We start our discussion of geonews by reflecting on the tragic news of the recent death of Malena Libman, a pillar of the FOSS4G community, and one of the organizers of FOSS4G 2021. Steven has written a tribute post on his blog. We offer our condolences to her family, friends, and the FOSS4G community.
We then discuss the news that Pixel8, whose founder, Sean Gorman, presented at Geomob last November, and was a guest on the podcast around the same time, has been acquired by Snap. Finally, we close with a few musings about border disputes.
- Steven's blog post in memory of Malena Libman
- Mappery post about the work of Ed Fairburn
- OpenCage is seeking alpha testers for its coming Geosearch product
- FOSS4G 2021 which will be held online from 27 Sept to 2nd Oct 2021
- Pixel8 is joining Snap
- Sean Gorman's presentation at the November 2020 Geomob
- Episode 40 with Sean Gorman of Pixel8
- Episode 25 with Randy Meech of StreetCred, also acquirred by Snap
- Framer moves border stone and makes Belgium bigger
- OpenCage twitter thread about border disputes
- The island that changes between France and Spain
Every week we discuss themes from the geo industry, interview Geomob speakers, and provide regular updates about our own projects.