In this episode Ed speaks with Ferdinando Villa, Ikerbasque Professor at the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), and lead investigator on the ARIES (AI for Environment & Sustainability) project. The impulse for our conversation was the recent announcement by the UN of a collaboration with BC3 to use ARIES to support countries as they apply the new international standard for natural capital accounting, the System of Environmental-Economic Accounting (SEEA) Ecosystem Accounting. Ferdinando explains what exactly ARIES is, but then our conversation ranges more deeply, reflecting on building models and systems for environmental understanding in a world of where data sets are continually evolving. We then turn to the role that members of the geospatial community can play in encouraging a sustainable future.
- Press Release announcing the collaboration with the UN
- Ferdinando is on twitter as @ferdinandovilla
- ARIES for SEEA Explorer, a tool for rapid natural capital accounting
- ARIES project homepage
- ARIES is on twitter as @aries_project
- Basque Centre for Climate Change
- Ferdinando's profile
- BC3 is on twitter as @bc3research
Every week we discuss themes from the geo industry, interview Geomob speakers, and provide regular updates about our own projects.