In this episode Steven welcomes back his old friend cartographer Kenneth Field, who recently published his new book Thematic Mapping: 101 Inspiring Ways to Visualise Empirical Data. In the book Kenneth takes the data from the 2016 US election and maps it in 101 different ways, showcasing many different cartographic techniques, and weighing the pros and cons of each. As was to be expected from the author of Cartography., Kenneth's new book is as beautiful as it is educational. By taking the reader on a journey through the many different map styles, Kenneth reveals the different ways data can be used to convey a message or spark a conversation.
Steven and Kenneth discuss the process of writing the book, and some of Kenneth's favorite maps.
- Kenneth is on twitter as @kennethfield
- Thematic Mapping: 101 Inspiring Ways to Visualise Empirical Data
- Kenneth's blog: Cartoblography
- Kenneth's blog post about Thematic Mapping
- Kenneth was a guest on the show all the way back in episode 12